Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Chalk Houses

This one was messier then I expected! I like the end result more than the process. I think it's the strong black lines with bright colors that I like so much. I also like the texture of the chalk pastels on the black paper.

I looked at a picture of some Dutch row houses and used a pencil to draw the outline of the houses with windows and doors. Then I went over the lines thickly with black pastel. I haven't used pastels in a long time and I had forgotten how hard it is to keep a sharp edge! You also get very messy fingers and the chalk dust has to be frequently blown away from your picture. Still, though, I enjoy seeing the end result and it's always good just to get your hands into something!

Here's a link to the original idea on Art Projects for Kids. It was inspired by another Kandinsky piece.

1 comment: